So we have been cloth diapering for about three weeks now and loving every minute of it! The diapers are so cute that I can hardly wait to change little one's diaper :) seriously. AND I am VERY happy to report that after three massive poops... NO blowout! Nothing! He only poops about every 4 or 5 days right now so they're pretty impressive. So far no poop trauma to scar me forever and not overwhelmed by the extra laundry (and currently I have to wash them every night, when we get more I will be even less not overwhelmed). I decided to write my own little review because starting cloth can be overwhelming! I thought just maybe I could help... at least share my experience. I was going to get a full stash all at once, but that can be expensive and what if you don't like what you got? So the hubs and I decided to start small and try three different brands and go from there. So far we have tried bumgenius freetimes, rump-a-rooz pockets, and thirsties duo all-in-ones.
The bumgenius freetimes are my current favorites. They fit great, not very bulky, so far no leaks (hasn't pooped in one yet), love that it's all-in-one (although, not a huge fan of the opposing flaps), and they are cute. Also, I'm not a big fan of the aplix velcro stuff, it just doesn't seem as durable as the snaps and remember all those tremendous abouts of children? Yeah, we need these to last.
The rump-a-rooz are the hub's fave. I love their bright vibrant colors and they fit well. Also love the double gussets on these, really holds the poop in there. They have leaked a little wetness around the legs a few times (not that big of a deal and I was probably just leaving him in them too long or not having the liner in right.) but they hold up GREAT to poop (these are the only diapers he has pooped in so far), and the pockets? well, I just stuff them in the mornings while we are lying around in bed so they are ready to go when I need them. Pulling out the dirty liners can seem gross the first few times, but seriously, wash your hands, it isn't that big of a deal.
The Thirsties... such a cute print! They fit well and look really cute on. I really LOVE the all-in-one design of these, it's so simple! However, I feel like every time he wears them they leak. I change his diaper right before a nap and when he wakes up an hour and a half later, the sheets are wet and the outside front of the diaper is wet. I don't feel like he is a heavy wetter for naps and none of the others do this. I tried drying them on high for a half hour to seal any pinholes, but it didn't seem to do anything. So unfortunately, I won't be adding more of these to our stash :(
We have not tried any at night yet... we only have 6 dipes and wash them at night. So not sure how they will hold up to his extreme wetness at nighttime yet :\ but we have ordered 6 more... I'm super excited! We will be trying the bumgenius 4.0, blueberry delux, and tots bots easy fit next and trying some out for the nighttime trek. Should be interesting.
Saving money never looked so good :) and, word has it, babies who wear cloth diapers potty train earlier! It's a win-win-win!




Thanks for the review. Very helpful for those of us who haven't tried it yet. Not gonna lie....I probably never will (although I would thoroughly enjoy the money saving aspect). Wish I had started from the beginning. I just don't think I would get my $$ out of them now.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree with you more Lisa, you will love the 4.0 bumgenius,but I may be a little bias, hehe! Goodluck
ReplyDeleteSo awesome that you are doing this!! How often do you need to get a larger size for him? And how much does one diaper cost?
ReplyDeleteThanks KC! The diapers I have been getting (the one size all-in-ones and pocket diapers) range from about $17-$30. Yikes! right? But, they are one size! So they fit from little baby to potty training toddler (and kids in cloth diapers tend to PT earlier), so you don't have to buy more as they grow... unless you want sized ones, then I think they generally run small, medium, large, and extra large. 4 sizes. It's definitely an investment... just like most baby gear really. and really does save money, I just wish we would have done it from the beginning, but oh well. This blog http://awesomeclothdiapers.blogspot.com has a wealth of information... from reviews to the basics... I love her blog and she is funny. Check it out because I know how overwhelmed I felt when trying to research and figure out what I wanted. There are SO many different options!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete